14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
16 oz. (2 packages) semisweet chocolate
2 tsp. vanilla
1 c. nuts, chopped (optional)
Grant Family Recipe
(File this one under "It Wouldn't Be Christmas Without It")
1. Line 8"x8" square pan with foil. Spray with nonstick spray.
2. In a medium bowl, break chocolate into 1 oz. or 1/2 oz. pieces. Pour condensed milk over chocolate.
3. Heat in microwave 1 minute. Stir vigorously.
4. Heat another minute if chocolate is not melted. Stir. Depending on microwave, this takes 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Stir until smooth and glossy. Add vanilla. Stir until smooth and glossy. Add nuts, if desired.
6. Spread into prepared pan.
7. Refrigerate, covered, 2 to 3 hours. Cut into squares, share and enjoy.
- Be careful not to substitute evaporated milk for condensed milk.
- If you have no condensed milk, heat 1/2 c. corn syrup and 1/2 c. evaporated milk or heavy cream with the chocolate, then add 3/4 c. sifted powdered sugar with the vanilla. (If you don't sift the sugar, you get little lumps of sugar in the final fudge.)
- This recipe looks a little flat and lonely without add-ins, so stir in nuts, or top with contrasting color chocolate chips.
- Adapted from recipe on Baker's Chocolate box.
Submitted by Gretchen Grant Contributed on: and modified on Monday April 10th, 2006